Wednesday 10 December 2008

Christmas@SouthDowns College

I have faced my fear this week and went back onto mains. It was OK. Not my favourite section but I got back on and my sea bass was pretty good-looking.

The previous week I was on starters and it was great because everything was plated and ready to go before service. We were serving:

Smoked Salmon and Prawn Tian with a Tomato Chutney and garnished with micro leaves
Deep-Fried Brie in a Parmesan Basket with Pear Chutney
A Trio of Melon and Poached Fig with Spiced Syrup

I took charged of the melon and managed to slice through my finger and nail with a carving knife-it was swollen cartoon-stylee, red and throbbing and eventually last weekend became INFECTED! It's OK now though, it looks like I won't be losing it.

I also prepared a million Parmesan Baskets which made the whole kitchen smell of sick, but I can honestly say, apart from their bad feet/sick aroma, they looked really pretty.

Parmesan Baskets:

Finely grate Parmesan. On a piece on parchment paper or baking paper, using a metal ring, sprinkle grated Parmesan. Carefully remove ring and put in microwave for 20-30 seconds. It will bubble and smell. Oh will it smell. Then remove, cool for a couple of seconds and then carefully peel off paper and mould over an upturned ramekin or similar. Simple.

On Mains this week we were serving:

Christmas Turkey with all the trimmings including pigs in blankets
Fillet of Beef with a veal jus and fondant potato (which tastes like heaven by the way-extremely fattening though)
Grilled Sea Bass on crushed new potatoes and a dill buerre blanc sauce.

I took care of the Sea Bass, which meant descaling, gutting and filleting, proving I'm not a wuss or squeamish in the kitchen. Next week I'll be on desserts so I'll let you know all about it.

I also have to let you into this tip, especially if you're having lots of people over on Christmas Day.

Christmas Dinner can be crazy so when it comes to your turkey, cook it hours in advance and rest as usual. Then carve it into slices in the calm before the storm and arrange in a roasting dish, with your slices of stuffing. Cover with water, so there is a film over the turkey (not immersed) and tightly cover with foil. When you are nearly ready to serve, pop the turkey into the oven. This will reheat the turkey but keep it incredibly moist and make it so easy to serve.

On the subjects of Turkeys, I now have the skills to de-bone one! Again, a messy job but I loved it. After two goes now I feel confident I can do it more quickly and apparently it's the same for lamb, chickens etc so another bow to my string.

Next week is my last week at college and then we break up for the holidays. And it will be Christmas before we know it.

I had a chat with my tutor and he has planted some seeds into my head about what direction I could take. I can't say about them now as I have to discuss them with my husband and our lifestyle means it may not be possible but I will reveal more when I know more.

No comments: