Tuesday 14 October 2008

Yikes

Cheffing is HARD work. I am absolutely knackered and have a new found respect for anyone that is a full time chef. I have completed two full days of college and have the scars to prove it (burn on wrist-ouch). My first restaurant service went well, in fact, it was a lot better than expected, although I can't deny there were moments I thought it was going to fall apart. (or me, or more likely, the souffles)

I was on the pastry section; the menu had profiteroles, cold lemon souffle and chocolate meringues (choux pastry recipe coming soon). I have to say, me and Caroline (the only other woman in the group) worked so hard and it showed in the results. There was choux drama when I realised head chef's calculations for the profiteroles was so not near the quantity we needed, I had to whip up some more-quickly, I am now an expert in panada!

Today I lost my fish virginity as I filleted not one, but two plaice! I really felt at ease with the task, I think I was a fishmonger in a previous existence (it would explain my natural affinity with cats). We cut the fillets into goujons, floured, egged and breaded them (with Panko, a Japanese breadcrumb) and deep fried them. With the bigger fillets, we rolled them into a delice (basically, a posh, french, cheffy was of saying folded over) and then poached in the fish stock we made from the bones of the plaice, wine, lemon juice and dill.

I have loved it all this week and feel like my self-esteem is rocketing through the roof. That is what life is all about, learning something new, doing something out of your comfort zone. I was in an emotional black-hole for so long that I forgot what a rush it is to be doing something, and I am in the lucky position of doing something I LOVE. Not many people can say that. I am taking this opportunity with both hands, (and saying Thank You to husband for being so supportive while I found my way here) And despite being so utterly tired and exhausted I am sleeping with a smile.

No comments: